Your are here: Home // Bag Care,Mixed Bag // Gucci sucks – the conclusion

Gucci sucks – the conclusion

Gucci sucks - the conclusion
Gucci sucks - the conclusion
So a few weeks ago I shared with you my predicament about my Gucci bag. Some of you suggested that I take it to the nearest Gucci store and demand that they fix it, or at least resolve the problem somehow. I thought about Nordstrom’s alleged shoe policy, where if you purchase a pair of shoes, and they become defective, you can return them/exchange them for another pair at any time. So, I figured, Gucci being the high-class luxury brand that it is, would offer me at the very least a similar deal. So, I hightailed it down to the Gucci store on Fifth Avenue, showed a saleswoman my bag and explained the story, very politely I might add. She looked very uncomfortable at the thought that a Gucci bag could self-destruct in such a way, and instructed me to speak to her manager. After assisting other customers more likely to purchase a bag that day, she finally went to the back of the store to get him for me. A youngish man came out, introduced himself as the manager – again I explained the situation. He proceeded to tell me that there was nothing he could do. He said, “The canvas bags are not meant to be carried everyday.” (Which I did not do, by the way). I told him that I owned Gucci canvas bags before and this never happened. I said I was both surprised and disappointed in the quality of the bag and how simple wear could destroy my bag so easily. Then he proceeded to say, “Gucci bags are high quality. I’m sorry you don’t feel that way. However, Gucci really stands by the quality of their leather bags, that’s why the warranty for Gucci canvas bags is only one year. Next time you should buy a leather bag if you want it to last longer.”

WTF???

I can’t believe I my mother wasted several hundred dollars on a piece of worthless canvas material that was obviously defective! I’m traveling to Italy this summer and I had initially planned to purchase another Gucci bag, but now I’ll save my money for another brand, with BETTER QUALITY AND BETTER CUSTOMER SERVICE. I will never waste my money on another Gucci. So dear readers, the conclusion is, if you want a quality bag, don’t buy a canvas Gucci. Apparently they know the quality sucks and you’ll just be wasting your money.

filed under: Bag Care,Mixed Bag Tagged with: ,

10 responses to "Gucci sucks – the conclusion"

1. Julie says:

So have you had it for a year? Was it still in warranty?

2. sarissa says:

hey- i love your blog and thanmks for the comment- want to exchange links? xx sarissa

3. wendy says:

that is SO SNOOTY of them!! ugh, its terrible customer service. if they want to call Gucci a “luxury brand” they need to start showing their clients some respect when there are problems! it should come with the price tag.

one of the little pieces of hardware on my gryson bag broke and, no questions asked, the designer sent it to be repaired free of charge and i got it back in a couple of days. they kept apologizing to me over and over for “the inconvenience” even though in no way did i blame them for it happening!! THAT is excellent customer service =/

sorry about your gucci bag

4. Flashy_Shades says:

i hate to hear stories like that, but having lived them you know they are absolutely the policy of some high-end stores. how embarassing for them. let us know what your next bag purchase is, so we can follow you when you take your business elsewhere.

5. ENID P. says:

I can tell you one thing. I was planning on buying a gucci bag. I have 4 Louis Vuitton bags.. they have excellent customer service. But just b/c of what happened to you… nope.. I wont be doing my purchase…and Im going to tell you why… because I don’t earn my money easy. I have to work hard for my money… and I cant run the risk of getting the same story you got if something happened to me $975 plus tax purchase….

Gucci made it real easy for me.. thx..

ENID P.

6. mareGa says:

Unbelievable!. You better off honey!.

7. mimi says:

WOW!! shut up?! Gucci responded this way? I am so suprised? Its a luxury brand for crying out loud, customers pay not only for the bag but for other intangibles and its such a darn shame they didn’t respond positively. is this a Gucci deal or is it just that store?

8. Texas Advertising Students says:

On behalf of the University of Texas at Austin’s department of advertising I am requesting your urgent response completing a study regarding your involvement in this website.

This research study is being conducted as an advertising research project at the University of Texas at Austin. The purpose of this study is to understand the nature of online anti-brand communities as a form of social action. If you agree to participate, you will be asked to answer questions about activities of your community, and the entire survey will take approximately 20 minutes of your time to complete.

Your personal input will be valuable in providing insight into consumer attitudes toward brands and enhancing our understanding of how brands can better serve consumers. Your participation is entirely voluntary. It will cost you nothing to participate in this study and no compensation for your involvement is offered.

The following link will take you to our survey: http://adresearch.advertising.utexas.edu/survey/YJ/344K/consent.html

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you,
    Y Sung

9. Jen says:

Oh my GOD! What a horrific story! I currently own two Gucci bags, both are canvas. The second of the two was purchased in 2005. Not only do I wear it frequently to this day, but I basically use it as a glorified diaper bag. Seriously, I abuse the holy hell out of that thing, and it still looks great. It doesn’t owe me a cent!

In addition, I broke the piston closure on one of my Gucci bags by slamming it in a car door (I get very clumsy when I’m pregnant). I called the Gucci store where the bag was purchased, and they had me mail it to their repair center to be assessed. They were able to completely replace the broken hardware (hardware that had long been discontinued, btw), and it looks as good as new!

I think you possibly had a defective bag, and clearly the manager you spoke with was moronic and should be reported! No customer should ever be treated the way you were. But based on my experience with the brand, I think possibly you are the victim of a bit of bad luck, and should complain further up the totem pole about your experience. I’m sure they’ll stand by the product.

10. lulu says:

I am going through the same issue…I went to Italy to purchase my 25th edition bag..$2600!!!! shortly thereafter I came home to canada only to use the bag here and there…I even stored it properly…it’s literally coming apart at every corner that it possibly could…I asked the people at the gucci store near me and they said it was unrepairable so now I have a special edition piece of crap sitting in a dust bag…literally gathering dust…never again Gucci!